Gyorshír, közlemény helye.
Gyorshír, közlemény helye.
Gyorshír, közlemény, további link helye.
Welcome to the homepage of the Research Centre for Astronomy and Earth Sciences of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. By unifying excellence in research, authenticity in science, and a commitment to society, the institute network of the Academy is set to produce values for both national and international success in Hungarian and universal science. Building on our national research traditions, being part of the only full-time research institute network in Hungary , our primary aim is to play a fundamental role in promoting the common weal and in building the foundation for our future through valuable scientific achievements based on highly promising discovery research.
The basic activity of the Research Centre incorporating the Konkoly Thege Miklós Astronomical Research Institute, the Geographical Institute, the Geodetic and Geophysical Institute, the Institute for Geological and Geochemical Research, is scientific research in the fields of astronomy and earth sciences (geography, geology, geochemistry, geodesy and geophysics), the operation of the National Seismological Network, exploratory (basic) research and the preparation of its findings for utilisation and publication; theoretical examinations for basic research, measurements at observatory, field and laboratory level, development of scientific instruments and methods, processing and publication of data, maintenance of observatories and, if need be, the establishment of new ones.
Letter of certificate
The letter of certificate of HAS' Research Centre for Astronomy and Earth Sciences can be read here.
The Astronomical Institute was founded in 1899, when Miklós Konkoly Thege donated his private observatory to the Hungarian state. The Institute has a Heliophysical Observatory in Debrecen, and an observing mountain station at Piszkéstető. Research includes observations with its own 0.5-1 m class optical telescopes, theoretical work, and involvement in space projects. The Institute hosts the external Astrophysical Laboratory of the Loránd Eötvös University, co-operates with the Universities of Szeged and Debrecen, publishes the Information Bulletin on Variable Stars for the International Astronomical Union, and is active in the dissemination of scientific results to the society.
1951 was the year when the academic workshop of the Geographical Institute was established on the basis of the former Geographical Library and Map Archive. In the beginning it bore the name Geographical Research Group incorporated in the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and from 1967 it became reorganised into the Geographical Research Institute. Organized, regular and ever more intense investigations into the geographical domain were revived in its framework. This step - a significant event also in international comparison - created a basis for intense research, scientific organising and guiding activities to be played by the institute. The institute maintains wide international contacts, several projects are run in cooperation with foreign partner institutions.
The institute was established by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1955 as Geodetic and Geophysical Research Laboratories. Basic research in the fields of geodesy and geophysics, the associated field and laboratory works, scientific data processing and interpretation of the observations as well as making them public constitute the duties of the institute. Development and construction of the theoretical and practical methods of the professional field and the observational devices (scientific instruments) are further fundamental tasks of the institute. Decades of registration in the Széchenyi István Geophysical Observatory, the Kövesligethy Radó Seismological Observatory and the Geodynamic Observatory Sopronbánfalva are of great value. Operation and development of the Hungarian National Seismological Network represent national interest. The institute serves as a scientific basis for international research in the field of earth sciences in the Carpathian Basin.
The history of the Institute for Geological and Geochemical Research started in 1950, when the Hungarian Academy of Sciences established a new reseach group at the Eötvös Loránd University, serving as the base of the Laboratory for Geochemical Research (LGR) established in 1955 under the leadership of academician Elemér Szádeczky-Kardoss. The LGR moved to the Budaörsi út in 1975, where it operated as a part of the research centre, then as an independent institute (Institute for Geochemical Research) of the Academy from 2000. With the establishment of the RCAES the institute's aims have been supplemented with geological studies. In the field of geology the institute deals or plans to deal with studies in structural geology, hydrogeology and environmental geology, whereas in the field of geochemistry the main directions are in petrogenesis, mineral formations, environmental geochemistry and archeometry. The analytical base for these studies is provided by microscope, petrochemistry, mineralogy, mineral chemistry and isotope geochemistry laboratories.
RCAES HAS © 2012